Monday, September 19, 2005

Finding your voice, Part III

I've written before about finding your voice, and this weekend gave me many more inspiring examples.

I served at the Christian Science Reading Room booth at the local Ashland Day—what a fun event! People were friendly and open, came right up to the booth and asked what we were all about. One woman actually had read one of my Monitor articles! (Which will sound familiar to regular readers here.)


And the event itself inspired me. First, there was singing the Star Spangled Banner to this HUGE flag flying off a monster extension ladder grounded on a truck. Then the Christian Four Square group with T-shirts that read "Fight Fear with Fear" (the latter being the fear of God) milling about the place, and I think opening everyone up to a spiritual discussion. Not to mention their pie-eating contest. We had great discussions with several of their folks.


National Honor Society teens crisscrossed the booths selling Katrina Relief bracelets (mine's here at my desk), and I spotted here and there what looked like same-sex teen couples holding hands. I'd never been to a public event where absolute openness in that way was safe, let alone accepted. Then later, as I did my rounds, I saw the Gay-Straight Alliance booth, right across the aisle from the Four Square booth. I have to admit this brought tears to my eyes—we've come so far.


Later that day I went to an art showing by Sonya Maneri, a friend of mine and brilliant artist. My favorite painting is called "Omnipresent," just a riveting swirl of radiant color. Sonya blessed us with a fascinating talk about the history of modern art. Her comments seemed to resonate with all that I'd been experiencing that day. She summed up with this thought, "We study the masters so we can see where we've come from. But then, we have to find our own voice."


It's thrilling to me to think of us, standing on the shoulders of those who have gone before, and taking what they learned and demonstrated to new heights, bringing today's context to bear and finding "new views of divine goodness and love," as Mary Baker Eddy says.


Today it's occurring to me that finding our voice is not about achieving one central point and then just reiterating it over and over. It's about freeing our own expressiveness for newness and freshness. We can expect our voice as it grows and resonates to be new every day. We encompass the original expression of the infinite. And the startlingly original will come forth, surprising even us.


For in the end, our voice is God's singing. Our expression is His song. And we are all essential to that infinite chorus.

"Each successive stage of experience unfolds new views of divine goodness and love."

--Science and Health


-------------------------

Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home