Thursday, August 04, 2005

Poem for the day

a favorite poem of mine, by ee cummings:


i thank You God for most this amazing
day:for the leaping greenly spirits of trees
and a blue true dream of sky;and for everything
which is natural which is infinite which is yes

(i who have died am alive again today,
and this is the sun's birthday;this is the birth
day of life and love and wings:and of the gay
great happening illimitably earth)

how should tasting touching hearing seeing
breathing any--lifted from the no
of all nothing--human merely being
doubt unimaginable You?

(now the ears of my ears awake and
now the eyes of my eyes are opened)



Tomorrow maybe I'll write why I love it (or maybe not), but don't want to spoil it today. :) But do feel free to write in what you think!

-------------------------
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

3 Comments:

At 8/05/2005 02:24:00 AM, Blogger karen gsteiger said...

Nice selection! I do enjoy the work of e.e. cummings. Sometimes it's a lot easier to find God in nature than it is to find Him/Her/It in other people. But that's just me being cynical at 1:22 a.m. I'm not actually that pessimistic because I'm lucky to be surrounded by fabulous friends and family.

If I had to choose a favorite religious poem, I think I'd go with John Donne's "Batter my heart, three-person'd God" both for his emotionally intimate relationship with God and for the spiritual frustration that we can all relate to.

Have a great weekend!

--karen

 
At 8/05/2005 05:35:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Thank you Laura,
You reminded me of prayer and gratitude just when I needed it. Here is one of my psalms:

Psalm 1 (to be sung in the morning)

o lord, you are the joy of my being.

when i wake from sleep my first thought is of you.

when i am in trouble i turn to you.

when i need an answer you have it.

you are always there, right where I AM.

how can i ever despair with you at hand?

how can i ever doubt with you in my mind?

how can i ever be alone in your all-presence?

you are ALL and I am in you and of you.

this is not intimidating! for you are love itself- and so AM I.
AMEN

Peace, Veronika

Miracle Practice - Healing Circle of Light
www.trueimage.name

 
At 8/05/2005 05:39:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

okay, I had to look up Karen's poem, here it is! fabulous!


Batter My Heart

Batter my heart, three-personed God, for you
As yet but knock, breathe, shine, and seek to mend.
That I may rise and stand, o'erthrow me, and bend
Your force to break, blow, burn, and make me new.
I, like an usurped town to another due,
Labor to admit you, but oh, to no end;
Reason, your viceroy in me, me should defend,
But is captived, and proves weak or untrue.

Yet dearly I love you, and would be loved fain,
But am betrothed unto your enemy;
Divorce me, untie or break that knot again,
Take me to you, imprison me, for I,
Except you enthrall me, never shall be free,
Nor ever chaste, except you ravish me.

~1620, John Donne


amazing, thanks Karen!
Love,
Laura

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home