Friday, August 12, 2005

Hold them in the Light

My Australian friend Veronika sent me this link in response to yesterday’s posting:

I am here only to be truly helpful

Here’s an excerpt:

What I have learned is that when I see another person as needing to be fixed, this is wrong-minded thinking. Now I am learning to trust my brother, to know that he is not his actions, but rather he is perfect as God created him.

I have learned that if I truly want to be helpful, then the most useful thing that I can do is to hold him in the Light. By holding him in the Light, I mean that I never lose sight of his wholeness, of his holiness. I know who he is. He is God’s perfect child.


This dovetails with another passage I’ve been contemplating as part of this week’s Bible Lesson on Soul:

Man is the reflection of Soul. He is the direct opposite of material sensation, and there is but one Ego.


The phrase "direct opposite of material sensation" always catches on my mind when I read it. It’s just a few words, but such a radical concept.

For if I’m the opposite of material sensation, nothing about me physically has any reality. How I sound, how I look, how I feel. I am actually the opposite of these things. And so are the people around me. How they sound, look, feel is inherently limited and can’t tell me who they really are.

So who are we? "The reflection of Soul." In order to discover what that is, an exploration of Soul is in order. And then, once that deeper understanding is gained, this is the only frame of reference to use when regarding our fellow beings. Anything less than seeing them in the light of Soul is a smokescreen, temporary, phantasmagorical.

What a person is on the outside is not who he is on the inside. To truly relate and to help, we need to respond to the inner unseen man, not react to the external appearance. Sometimes we’re required to see it even when he doesn’t. But what a relief to find that that "material sensation" is not the final word on anybody. We can indeed "hold the in the Light."


-------------------------
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 8/12/2005 10:28:00 AM, Blogger John said...

When I see another person critically, I think of the analogy that we are all like a million dollar sound system. Some of us are playing beautiful music and some of us playing chaotic and offensive music (i.e. some of us end up being Hitlers); but the sound system is absolutely perfect.

I think Soul represents the infinite individual expression of God as us and everything we see around us (and much, much more that we don't see.) Is that a correct understanding, Laura?

Soul is one of those words that every religion has a different interpretation of!

John London

 
At 8/13/2005 12:28:00 AM, Blogger Rev. Veronika Birken said...

I'd like to share a healing I had by using this week’s Christian Science Bible Lesson on "Soul," a synonym for “God.”

I was feeling pretty low about a certain issue in my life when I decided to read the Lesson. I came to a stop when I read: "--- in which Soul is our master, and material sense and human will have no place."
Now, I had not really wanted to dive into this week”s lesson because Soul didn't seem such an important aspect of God to me. But now I remembered that this is how I had learned to define myself in my childhood because this is how the adults around me saw me: as soul/spirit. Now I suddenly felt 'at home' in Soul. I could relate to Soul as my very being. After all I had been a musician all my life, expressing Soul's qualities in playing the violin beautifully.

I now really made a feast of it, dwelling on all what Soul meant to me and how it expressed Itself in my life.
I could by now see that it was a very good idea to let Soul be my master instead of material sense. To step back and let It lead the way would mean I would then only experience the harmony of Soul instead of this clanging discord I had of late experienced in an important relationship in my life. As a musician of classical music I love harmony. Also I had learned to watch out that wrong notes wouldn't creep into my playing. I couldn't afford to be sluggish about this or gone was the beloved harmony in my experience.
So, here I was, jumping up, feeling Soul's happiness and greeting everything and everybody with Soul's eyes of Love. I could see the innocence of Soul and my heart was filled with the joy and peace of Soul. I could truly experience that I live in Soul and not in body. By the end of the day I was just filled with the Presence of divine Love and Light to such an overflow that I felt the grace of God in this.

Also the relationship difficulty I had experienced just melted away in the presence of the Love of Soul I was able to express.

 
At 8/14/2005 11:58:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

from John's comment above:
"I think Soul represents the infinite individual expression of God as us and everything we see around us (and much, much more that we don't see.) Is that a correct understanding, Laura?"

I think if that understanding is helpful to you, it's as correct as anything I could articulate. :) That's what's so amazing about infinite Soul -- it has infinite expressions, including our own inspiration about it. Thanks for sharing it, too, because in sharing, we widen each other's inspiration as well.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home