Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Waking thoughts

What do you think when you first wake up every day?

I didn’t used to care much about this, whatever popped into my head would suffice. Random worries about my life, anticipations for the day, plans I had, these things would occupy my thought when the alarm clock rang and I had to start a new day.

But it was about when life started catching up with me, when the things on my mind were making me miserable and I couldn’t handle it all, that first-thing-in-the-morning prayer became a habit -- in fact, a necessity.

Sometimes it’s just as simple as “Dear Father,” or “Holy Father,” which I’ll mentally call out, just to get the conversation going. (I admit I do default to thinking of God as Father.) Sometimes it’s the phrase from the end of the prodigal son story: “Thou are ever with me, and all that I have is thine,” which I hear as spoken from God’s perspective to me, very comforting.

Some other great ideas are:

  • This is the day the Lord hath made, let us be glad and rejoice in it. (The Bible)
  • I know no life divided, o Lord of Life from Thee (from a hymn)
  • i thank You God for most this amazing day: (ee cummings)
  • Dear Lord and Father of us all, forgive our foolish ways (a hymn)
  • Not my will but thine be done. (The Bible)

For me, it’s not usually a long prayer, but a momentary orientation of my thinking toward Spirit. It starts the day with peace and confidence.

If you want to try this, maybe write some thoughts down and have them by your bedside for when the first morning light awakes you. Before the edge of slumber wears off, use this relaxed and comfortable space to choose an idea and contemplate, to start your day by connecting with Spirit, Love.

If you have some favorites already, I’d love to hear about them! Share them with the comments button below, or email them to me and I’ll post them.


-------------------------
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 7/20/2005 09:54:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Dear Laura,
What a good idea to bring up the subject on how to start the day with a thought which connects us with our Father/Mother!
I have lately learned the importance of practicing inner stillness so I can hear His Voice.
Here is a message I received during such time of listening:

Silence is precious because
it leaves room for My Voice to be heard.
It leaves space for the truth.
It is the healing of the mind
to clear it of private thoughts
to become a shining mirror to reflect God’s Thoughts.
Be still and know that God is All-in-all.

Love, Veronika

Miracle Practice - Healing Circle of Light

www.trueimage.name

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home