Wednesday, July 27, 2005

Dreams and visions

Newsweek had a fascinating book review in the July 25 issue called A Dream Before Dying. It described meaningful pre-death dreams, something I’d never heard about before. Here’s an example:

“In one woman's dream, a candle on her hospital windowsill is snuffed out, engulfing her in darkness—a symbol of death that scares her, until the candle spontaneously relights outside the window.”

Isn’t that cool? Her light will continue, or at least that’s what I take from it.

I was talking to a friend the other day about dreams and visions. In my experience, they’re distinctly different, although for me they both occur while I’m asleep.

Dreams I think of as my own human thinking trying to make sense of things. Unresolved issues of the day or my life will dance around each other, and strange and often amusing scenarios will play out. If I remember the dream when I awake, sometimes it gives me some clues as to how to resolve issues in my present reality. Nightmares, when I have them, remind me that some of my issues need immediate attention.

Visions, though, are different. I’ve had several powerful ones over the years, and they’ve always felt as though they were sourced in a place external to me, as though Someone higher was sending me a specific and life-changing message. I remember each of them as though they happened last night. They brought either instant physical healing or reassurance or direction. I’ve written about some of them, and will include more as I continue blogging.

So what is the explanation of these dreams / visions? As far as visions go, I believe Spirit is communicating with us constantly. Spirit never shuts off, but we need to be receptive in order to receive the message. When we are receptive, the message bursts through, and it’s so powerful our currently limited perspective requires that we receive it in symbols. Sometimes these symbols are so vivid and substantial they take the place of this mortal seeming and we feel transported to another place where Spirit reigns.

I believe the Revelator in the Bible experienced something like this -- on a much grander scale than any of my little visions! But what I find comforting is that we all have the capacity for this to some degree. Science and Health explains this in a passage you can read here.

As far as dreams go, it seems to me that the random sorting out of the day’s issues isn’t really that much different than my waking thoughts, which are often a jumble in and of themselves. Ordered, calm thought is a goal of mine. I don’t always achieve it but I know what it feels like. It feels like prayer.

I think I’m going to pick up the book Newsweek was reviewing in that article -- Dreaming Beyond Death. To me, it sounds like a record of end-of-life visions. And there’s wisdom to be gained in sharing our visions with each other.

Have you ever had a vision? Write to me about it!


-------------------------
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

Del.icio.us tags:

7 Comments:

At 7/28/2005 06:39:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Dear Laura,
As you are asking to share a vision, here is one I received only yesterday:

I am sitting in my little prison. It is round like some tower but not as high. Above little windows all around with bars. I sit here and defend my kingdom against any intruders. I am even ready to take one of the bars down to defend myself with by attacking any brother who might threaten to take away this prison - kingdom. Then I look up at the prison bar, reach out, touch it and remove it. I thought I had to pull really hard to do this but it comes off easily the moment I had the thought. Well, I think, why not remove another one. As soon as I had thought this the bar disappeared. This intrigued me. How about thinking ‘door.’ At this one appeared. It was shut. I thought of it as open and it opened instantly. I could now see the light and parts of a landscape. I thought of stepping outside and I found myself outside looking at a vast and beautiful landscape before me.

Now I am thinking of all my imprisoned brothers who sit in just such a prison as I have left behind me. I see them all huddled up tight in there, not wanting to move for fear that their current state of being might be changed. I call out to them. I throw some stones up to the windows and beckon them to step out and to join me to explore this magnificent landscape with me.

I can do no more then call. When and how they follow is their decision. I now step forward into the landscape. It lays there, bathed in Light. I know that I walk not alone but all those who have gone before are with me and all those behind will follow when they are ready.

Love, Veronika
P.S. Thank you for walking with me in the Light!

Miracle Practice - Healing Circle of Light
www.trueimage.name

 
At 7/28/2005 06:39:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

beautiful Veronika!!!

 
At 8/04/2005 02:33:00 AM, Blogger dan said...

Why do the authors of the book spell their same last name differently?

why does author and her son have different spelling for last name?
Rev. Patricia Bulkley but BuklEley for the son? WHY???????
>
> Dan BLoom, reporter, Taiwan
>
> http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/8598959/site/newsweek/page/2/

 
At 8/04/2005 02:36:00 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I had a very interesting dream, age 56, father on his deathbed, i had normal night of interesting dreams about this and that, in usual color, fun interesting dreams, and then it happened. Suddenly, my dreamscape in my sleeping mind, but concious too, suddently my dreamscape went DARK, NO SOUND, and I could see nothing, but could "feel" a flat horizon like out on the sea viewed from shore, but everything completely utterly silent and dark, like the theater stage went completely dark in a second. and then i WOKE UP.

 
At 8/04/2005 06:28:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

wow, fascinating. thanks for sharing your dream. was it peaceful?

and Dan, I have no idea about that spelling, but if you're the reporter from Taiwan, I bet you could find out!

:)
Laura

 
At 8/04/2005 10:37:00 AM, Blogger dan said...

Laura,
Yup, I'm the reporter from Taiwan and just found out why:

FYI

Bulkley and Bulkeley are variations of the same family name, that of the Rev. Peter Bulkeley, a Puritan who left England in 1635 and founded a new church community in what became Concord, Massachusetts. Patricia and her husband, Ned, are part of a family branch that dropped out the first "e." Kelly, their eldest son, now spells his last name with the additional "e."

That dream....was NOT peaceful, rather startling, scary, almost a nightmare really, and when I woke up I had to stand up and get the cobwebs out of my mind, because that complete and utter silence and darkness, pitch black, nothing, like the beginning of the universe and the end of the universe, in my imagination of course, it scared the bejesus out of me when I woke up. During the dream, i had no emotion it was kind of cool, but startling at the same time, and just before the blackness and silence, there was a loud KERPLUNK! ( I think that was the garbage truck outside my window, which actually woke me up at 5 am that day, and which might have triggered the dream, SOUNDS often trigger dreams in a microsecond of time). No, it was not a peaceful dream. One of the deepest and scariest dreams i ever had, but profound and I am glad i had it, becaUSE I think i was facing death right there, seeing what it was like. in fact, i think that is what happens when we die. i think my brain was telling me something very very profound. i'd like to tell the bulkeley/bulkleys about this. and dr. Bosnak in Boston too.

 
At 8/04/2005 01:00:00 PM, Blogger Laura said...

yeah, you should get in touch with them.

:)
L

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home