Thursday, June 09, 2005

How to get what we need

In a discussion yesterday with Jeanne, my older sister (who actually prefers to be known as my "glamorous" sister, or my "world-traveled" sister -- take your pick), she pointed out a nuance to a well-loved inspirational passage that I hadn't seen before.

The passage is Mary Baker Eddy's Angels. If you're not familiar with it, it's an excellent inspiring message of encouragement.

Jeanne and I were talking in particular about this sentence:

God gives you His spiritual ideas, and in turn, they give you daily supplies.
--Angels, Mary Baker Eddy

Her take on it fascinated me. She pointed out that most people think of gaining spiritual growth as one aspect of their lives, and going out and earning a living as a separate aspect. But she reminded me that the two are inextricably linked. In fact, one follows from the other. According to that sentence in Angels (if it rings true to you as it does for me), it must be true that all we really need ever do is be receptive to God's spiritual ideas.

I had never thought of it in just those terms before. I'd been laboring under the misapprehension that sure, God will send me an idea or two, but mostly I have to hustle to accumulate daily supplies. But no, it's really the exclusive province of the spiritual ideas that come to me to get me what I need. My only role then is to be obedient to what the angel thoughts are telling me.

(Note: Angels in Christian Science are considered to be God's messengers to us. They're not beings in and of themselves, but ideas that God sends directly to us to meet our needs.)

What is the practical effect of knowing this? Well, lately, I've been getting all kinds of ideas. The ideas just come. I mean, they had always been coming, but the difference in the last few months is that I'm now trying to follow all of them. I'm seeing them as gifts from God, and taking action on them as they occur to me. Not all lead to something definitive, but each teaches me something. This Weblog is the result of one such idea, and it's led me to all of you. :)

I'm finding that the fluidity of being willing to move on the ideas that come freshens my days. I'm more energized and joyful. After all, if God's sending ideas, there's no way to run out of them. They're not my ideas, they're His. Each day becomes an adventure in learning with God as the teacher.

I'm still mulling this over. What are your thoughts?

p.s. A kind site user let me know that my comments function wasn't very user friendly, so I changed the settings. Now, you can comment on a posting without having to register for Blogger. I hope to hear from more of you!

-------------------------
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

1 Comments:

At 7/07/2005 01:46:00 PM, Blogger -mt said...

Here's an idea I had recently about angels. Yes, they're messages or ideas from God that give us good direction. But I also realized that those ideas can come in the form of people we meet. Nice to know we can both entertain an angel and BE one too.

7;)

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home