Tuesday, June 14, 2005

God's will is good

I've been thinking about God's will, especially in regards to sickness. And I have to say this is the one thing about Christian Science that has always made sense to me -- it is never God's will that anyone should be sick. The God I grew up with is entirely Love, and how could infinite, omnipresent Love want anyone to be sick?

And in truth, if He did want us to be sick, why would we take any steps to become well? I love the logic of this passage from Science and Health:

If God causes man to be sick, sickness must be good, and its opposite, health, must be evil, for all that He makes is good and will stand forever. If the transgression of God's law produces sickness, it is right to be sick; and we cannot if we would, and should not if we could, annul the decrees of wisdom. It is the transgression of a belief of mortal mind, not of a law of matter nor of divine Mind, which causes the belief of sickness. The remedy is Truth, not matter, — the truth that disease is unreal. (229:23)

It's interesting to me that even when a person believes God sent them a sickness, they still do whatever they can to become well. I think we inherently know that sickness isn't just or right; we know that we don't deserve it. Hence our attempts to become well. And we can get to the result so much quicker if we know that God's on our side.

So about God's will. This is God we're talking about. Omnipotent good. Omnipresent perfection. Filling all space, creating all being, supreme in power and glory. It's not just that He's all powerful, He is the only power there is. What does this imply about His will then? If He wills it, it is done. His will, His volition, what He wants, is all there is.

I know many of us think about the concept of free will sometimes, as though we have our own choice in the matter. Like we're deciding what happens to us. But my life moves along more harmoniously when I abandon the idea that I have a choice, and instead accept that the only will is God's. When I minimize self and put God in the lead, clarity and peace are the result.

This includes in cases of sickness. If I blame myself, saying God's sent this illness to punish me or to teach me something, or I've done something wrong or am thinking wrong and that caused the problem, I have a harder time shaking it off. If I know, though, really know, that it's never God's will to send me sickness, that He only wants good for me and therefore good is all I can have, it's easier to see the sickness as an imposition and not something I need to hang on to.

Eventually, through this reasoning, we get to the conclusion Mary Baker Eddy teaches: There is no disease. God is good, and wills only good. There is no disease, because God doesn't will it.

-------------------------
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home