Wednesday, June 08, 2005

God at the mall

People sometimes ask me, How can I cultivate a sense of God's presence? How can I learn to feel what I can't see or hear? So I wanted to share an experience when I tried to do just that.

A couple years ago, my daughter had an errand at the Natick Mall, one of the largest in our area. I knew it would be crowded later in the day and parking would be problematic, since it was a shopping holiday and there were lots of sales scheduled. We therefore decided to get there right when the mall opened. I also felt the need for some quiet time, so I told her to meet me at a particular bench when she was done with her errand.

I brought along some inspirational literature to read, and got through it fairly quickly. Then I just sat on the bench where I could see down two long corridors, in the space of inspiration but not really actively thinking about anything.

People started to arrive around me: couples, children, retirees. As I watched them go by, they naturally became included in my mental inspiration. I began to notice that each little group, even the ones who were alone, had a story.

A married couple passed by. The wife talked and gesticulated, while the husband patiently listened. His arm curled around her waist, caressed her shoulder, but she kept talking. Eventually his arm fell to his side, no longer touching her. I watched in suspense, hoping, hoping… and as they moved farther away, I saw her arm link into his.

An Asian grandmother came by with a developmentally challenged young girl. The girl walked awkwardly, but had a brilliant smile. Grandmother walked beside her, caring for her and responding to her comments.

Families went by, talking and planning, the resemblance between them etched on their features. Kids went by, laughing and jostling like young colts. Retirees in gym gear went by, using the mall as their private exercise track.

As I observed each one as they flickered past me, I gained a growing impression of goodness, love, happiness, cooperation, family. The mall was filled with these qualities that day. I looked up and down the corridors, seeing everywhere people going about their normal day, filled with love and giving and conversation and joy. Love began to resonate in me, it became all I could see. Finally, I had this feeling of the entire mall being enveloped in Love, and each of us was walking through it, existing within it, agents of it.

My daughter's errand took about a half hour. That became one of the most amazing half hours of my life.

So how is it that we can feel God's presence more? Sometimes to me it's just a matter of opening my eyes and really observing.

The depth, breadth, height, might, majesty, and glory of infinite Love fill all space. That is enough! (Science and Health)

-------------------------
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

3 Comments:

At 6/09/2005 12:47:00 AM, Blogger Jeff said...

Laura,

I love your posts...also think you have a great web page!

Jeff

 
At 6/09/2005 04:10:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

thanks, Jeff! and welcome!

hearts,
Laura

 
At 8/29/2006 06:43:00 AM, Blogger Miki said...

I love this post, Laura - great insights.
Miki

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home