Monday, June 13, 2005

Do I love enough?

I shared this online over the weekend…

  • lbm: hey, I was just at an event I found inspiring....
  • lbm: a figure skating event
  • lbm: one of the young women skaters was -- shall we say --
  • lbm: large around the hips
  • lbm: but sooooo graceful and sure of herself
  • lbm: taught me something.
  • lbm: she was very beautiful
  • lbm: it really wasn't about shape at all. which I find comforting!
  • lbm: a lot of the people at this event were new or kinda klutzy
  • lbm: but they were out there TRYING and working hard
  • lbm: and I realized that I only ever see the Olympic caliber
  • lbm: I thought skaters all had to be tall and thin
  • lbm: and they make it look so easy
  • lbm: but it's lots of hard work
  • lbm: which has got to be about love....
  • lbm: and I gotta ask myself, do I love enough to persist and not be discouraged?
  • lbm: to practice until I get it right even if I fall down a few times?
  • lbm: anyway, it's got me thinking.

I was talking at the end there about my spiritual practice. Do I love enough to persist with it even though sometimes it's hard and I don't always get it right and my flaws and warts show up in bold relief?

Spiritual growth is about revealing our true nature, and that implies that now and again that which is not true has to be seen and destroyed. But sometimes this is embarrassing if not shameful. It has to be love that makes us keep working through it. But love of what?

And I'd have to say, love of our Creator, God. If we truly love God, we need to love His creation. And you and I are part of that creation. So, we need to love ourselves enough to work at discovering His image and likeness, our true being. We need to love enough to get rid of the false and become clothed in the true.

Science and Health says, "To divest thought of false trusts and material evidences in order that the spiritual facts of being may appear, — this is the great attainment by means of which we shall sweep away the false and give place to the true. Thus we may establish in truth the temple, or body, 'whose builder and maker is God.' "

Get rid of the false so the true being can appear. No one said this would be easy! But like that figure skater, we will glorify God with the love and joy and grace and beauty we express.

-------------------------
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home