Friday, May 06, 2005

Too busy? Find harmony through prayer

Okay, I missed updating yesterday! All of life's busy-ness caught up with me.

I read this just now over breakfast:

"Martin Luther [Germany's founder of the Lutheran church] is supposed to have said that the busier he was, the more he needed to pray. In order to manage, he said, he needed to spend at least three hours of his best time every day in prayer."
--Christian Science Sentinel, May 23, 2005, p. 3

Wow, what a standard! Three hours! Of his best time! Sounds like when things were busiest for him, prayer became more of a priority. And I know my days also go better when prayer is the first thing on the to-do list, and when I give it my best thought.

That quiet contemplation of something beyond myself helps the rest of my day fall into place. It gives me some perspective on what's most important. Is it time with my kids or filing my paid bills? Is it helping a friend or doing the laundry? And somehow the bills and the laundry always manage to sort themselves out if I'm at peace with putting what prayer leads me to do first.

The calming influence of prayer, that time when I consciously contemplate my relationship with the universe and its Creator and when I see myself as part of the Creator's harmonious plan, allows me to flow with that plan rather than trying to make my own. Every moment in some way begins to serve Him rather than myself. And this brings a peace and harmony no plan of mine every could.

I've always loved the comfort of these Bible verses:

Matt 6:31-33
31 Therefore take no thought, saying, What shall we eat? or, What shall we drink? or, Wherewithal shall we be clothed?
32 (For after all these things do the Gentiles seek:) for your heavenly Father knoweth that ye have need of all these things.
33 But seek ye first the kingdom of God, and his righteousness; and all these things shall be added unto you.

God, divine Love, knows what we need, and when we need it. And this is expressed in my being able to be with my kids and do the laundry. In fact, kids+laundry+popcorn+movie make for a really great evening!

Here's a thought:

"Prayer cannot change the Science of being, but it tends to bring us into harmony with it." (Science and Health)

Harmony. That's what I'm trying to achieve. And prayer brings the peace of mind that opens up the possibilities for creative solutions and ongoing harmony.

So guess what's next on my to-do list? :) How about you?

Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Del.icio.us tags:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home