Saturday, May 28, 2005

Part V: Healing example

Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, Part VI, Part VII

Let me give you another example. There was a time when I was experiencing very strong ringing in one ear. This went on for months. During the day when there was other ambient noise it didn’t bother me so much, but at night when I tried to get to sleep or whenever I had some quiet time when I was trying to pray, it was a huge distraction. It was interfering with all my peace.

So again, I turned to prayer as I’ve learned it in Christian Science. Now, this was a bigger problem than the infected finger (in Part III), so it took more on my part to solve. I had to really dig in deeply to the spiritual concepts, and go beyond just reading the words or thinking about them. I had to displace my fears about my hearing with the truth about my being.

Science and Health was a huge help. For example, it says,

  • Sight, hearing, all the spiritual senses of man, are eternal. They cannot be lost. Their reality and immortality are in Spirit and understanding, not in matter, — hence their permanence. (p. 486)
  • EARS. Not organs of the so-called corporeal senses, but spiritual understanding. (p. 585)
  • If the medium of hearing is wholly spiritual, it is normal and indestructible. (p. 214)
  • How can man, reflecting God, be dependent on material means for knowing, hearing, seeing? (p. 489)

These ideas calmed me down, and I really strived to understand what they meant on a deeply spiritual level.

As the weeks proceeded, I gained a stronger and stronger conviction that God was right there with me, and that I would be cured. I’d read that this kind of problem is considered incurable, but I wasn’t going to accept that. It didn’t fit in with starting with perfect God and perfect creation. I am part of that creation, and I wasn’t going to settle for anything less than perfection.

Interestingly, my transformation of thought came after a dream I had. I dreamed I was listening to some depressing music. And I thought in my dream, I don’t want to be depressed, so I’m going to change the music to something happier. And the music in the dream changed. Now, there was no CD or any other implement in the dream to play the music, I just changed my mind about what I wanted to hear, and what I heard in the dream changed. This happened a couple more times in the dream, and then I woke up.

And I realized, it was as Science and Health had said -- my hearing was not dependent on my ears. I had heard those songs in my thinking totally unrelated to what my physical ears were receiving. This was another huge ah-ha moment for me. And in that moment, I lost my fear about my hearing.

The ringing persisted for a few more weeks, but I was no longer afraid of it. I placed all my trust in the true omnipotence, God. The final straw came when the ringing tried to switch ears. This just made me laugh. I don’t remember it bothering me at all after that, and it hasn’t since.

So here again, what happened was I displaced in my thought the false evidence of the senses with the truth about God and His creation. And this destroyed the false evidence to the point that I no longer experienced it on any level.

Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, Part VI, Part VII

-------------------------
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home