Saturday, May 28, 2005

Part III: Creation is perfect

Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, Part VI, Part VII

Creation is perfect -- this perhaps is the startling central point of Christian Science. Man, meaning men and women together, is perfect. Mary Baker Eddy states, “God is the creator of man, and, the divine Principle of man remaining perfect, the divine idea or reflection, man, remains perfect. Man is the expression of God's being” (Science and Health).

And, another thought: “God, the divine Principle of man, and man in God's likeness are inseparable, harmonious, and eternal. The Science of being furnishes the rule of perfection, and brings immortality to light. God and man are not the same, but in the order of divine Science, God and man coexist and are eternal. God is the parent Mind, and man is God's spiritual offspring” (Science and Health).

Creation is perfect because God is perfect. Some of you might shake your head at this, because it seems obvious that what we see and hear around us is not perfect, and I’ll agree with you there. So perhaps the only conclusion we can come to is that what we see and hear around us is not actually God’s creation.

Trippy? Perhaps. But this is indeed the conclusion that Mary Baker Eddy came to. And when you start with perfect God as Creator, there’s really no other conclusion you can reach. I understand this is all sounding theoretical. And it would all be theory if it stopped there, but it doesn’t. Eddy proved that through an understanding of this perfect God and perfect creation, you can actually heal.

Let me give you a quick example. Once I had an infected fingertip, right by the nail. It was painful enough that it inhibited my ability to type, and my job at the time depended a lot on typing. Well, I decided to use the ideas of Christian Science as I’d learned from Science and Health to cure this problem. I’d experienced healing other times in my life, and I was sure it would work this time.

So I started with the problem itself, which was infection. I asked myself, what’s the spiritual opposite of infection? And I thought, Purity. Okay so far. But then I thought, I guess I have to be more pure. So I tried it for a day or so, tried to make my thoughts and actions more pure. And this was a useful exercise, but it didn’t cure the finger.

So then I prayed about it more deeply. What did I need to learn here? And what I discovered was that I hadn’t started, as I described above, with perfect God. I had instead started with imperfect finger and tried to heal from that basis. It didn’t work. So this time, I started with perfect God.

I thought to myself, God is perfect. He is completely Spirit already, 100% pure. Purity is established since God is pure. And I am God’s image and likeness. Therefore, I am pure already.

This was a major ah-ha moment for me. I hadn’t generally thought of myself as 100% pure! But now in my prayers about that finger, I declared with spiritual authority my own purity as God’s image and likeness. I didn’t have to change to become pure, I was already. I gained a genuine conviction about this new spiritual self-definition, and went to bed for the evening. In the morning, I saw the finger had drained, and the opening quickly closed up and the finger was good as new.

Part I, Part II, Part III, Part IV, Part V, Part VI, Part VII

-------------------------
Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.

2 Comments:

At 5/18/2007 12:08:00 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Dear Laura,

I am struggling to put this all together and would greatly appreciate your understanding in explaining some of this further. From what I have read, I am gathering that in christian Science, denying the material world of reality will aid us in overcoming physical challenges and illness etc. In Christian Science, if matter and this material world is seem as an illusion, then may I ask, where this illusion originated from? And if it is an illusion, then how is it that we as people, see the illusion in the same way...meaning, how can I look at anything like a picture someone paints, and see the exact image they painted, if this material world is an illusion? I'm sure that doesn't make any sense :)
You have shared some very interesting testimonies. May I ask you why you were healed of an infection in your fingernail, by seeing God as the starting point and all perfect, but yet you still wear glasses?
I guess I am struggling with the idea that this world that we touch, smell, see and feel, is not real and is an illusion. Could not God create a spiritual realm and a physical?

Thanks for your explaination!
Pondering in Utah

 
At 5/24/2007 07:46:00 AM, Blogger Laura said...

Thanks for these questions. Check out my response at:

http://lauramatthewscs.blogspot.com/2007/05/q-illusion-and-reality.html

:)
Laura
@}-->--

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home