Tuesday, May 10, 2005

His resurrection is also our resurrection

Went to see Godspell this past weekend… I love that play, and always find something in it to bring a tear to my eye. Maybe it’s because I know it by heart because I directed it once in amateur theater.

I have to take exception, though, to any rendition that doesn’t include the resurrection. In our version, we had the Jesus character (played by a woman in pink leopard skin, very cool!) run back out on stage during the exuberant “Prepare Ye/Long Live God” coda at the end. We made it clear that he did actually come back from the dead.

Is anyone with me on this? I feel there’s really no point to the crucifixion if Jesus didn’t rise again – “He is Risen” is to me still one of the most moving phrases in the English language. He would have been just one more Roman execution otherwise. But the coming back, witnessed first by his faithful female followers, then by the slower-to-believe men disciples, sealed what it means for us all. That Life is eternal. That the material body is not all we are, but that Life continues even after the animating force has left the body.

Isn’t that cool? To me, that’s what Jesus proved.

And it means something for us today. Here’s a thought: “Through all the disciples experienced, they became more spiritual and understood better what the Master had taught. His resurrection was also their resurrection. It helped them to raise themselves and others from spiritual dulness and blind belief in God into the perception of infinite possibilities.” (Science and Health)

It was my resurrection too. I get the benefits of it, what a wonderful gift. So in any story about him, I like to see the resurrection acknowledged. I almost don’t think a person has any business depicting Jesus’ life without capping it with the most amazing demonstration of divine power ever.

Mel Gibson’s Passion of the Christ did include a hint of it at the end, and of course he was focusing on the sacrifice. I learned a lot about that too with that movie. But I’m glad of the resurrection hint at the end, definitely.

Here’s a neat spiritual definition of resurrection:

“RESURRECTION. Spiritualization of thought; a new and higher idea of immortality, or spiritual existence; material belief yielding to spiritual understanding.” (Science and Health)

So anytime I’m spiritualizing my thinking, I’m participating in the resurrection.

He is Risen!

Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.


Del.icio.us tags:

1 Comments:

At 9/08/2005 10:02:00 PM, Anonymous Myron said...

I totally agree with you about the resurrection being the point. I chose not to see the Passion because I don't believe that Jesus believed in pain because he didn't believe he was his body. All he knew about himself was that he was only what God created and that was perfection. Even today there are holy men who have reached a spiritual level that allows them to experience life without pain, like those who walk on hot coals. If they can do that, how could I think that Jesus couldn't.

I also don't believe he came here to teach sacrifice. Why would God need sacrifice? He has no ego with which to accept it. This is a human thing. I think he came here to teach love and forgiveness. Isn't the crucifixion a perfect example of this? He showed us that there is nothing that can be done to our bodies that is beyond forgiveness. He showed us that no matter what anyone does to us, the only response we should have is one of love.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home