Tuesday, May 17, 2005

The economy of Love

As mentioned yesterday, I may start commenting on all those favorite books of mine to the right. So here’s the first.

In Guy Kawasaki’s The Art of the Start, right on the cover actually, Pierre Omidyar (founder of eBay) is quoted as saying, “Read the last chapter first.” So I did.

This goodness-packed four pages described the art of being a mensch. According to Guy, “The three foundations of menschhood are helping lots of people, doing what’s right, and paying back society -- simple concepts that are hard to implement.”

Boy, did this resonate with me! And I remembered a time when I was living in Southern California, just starting out as a spiritual healer. Money was tight, I had two kids to feed, and I’d just lost the highest-paid full-time job I’d ever had. Now I wanted to go into a field of labor that would probably trim our sails significantly.

But the healing work was really calling me. Christian Science had helped me so much I wanted to share it with the world, in my own fledgling way. So I prayed.

And interesting things began to happen. A friend offered to take my daughter to see a movie and dinner -- a treat I couldn’t afford. Another friend offered me an entertainment center since she was moving and didn't want it anymore. Members of my family let me know that they'd be there to help if I ever needed anything financially. And to be honest, this confused me.

See, I'd always been entirely self-sufficient. I had some pride in the fact that I'd been able to keep the family going as a single parent all those years until this point. Was it right to accept what felt at times like charity? Was I demeaning myself?

But I began to notice the looks on the faces and the tone of voices from those who were offering. There was no superiority there. There was only genuine love.

And I began to see through my pride to what I now call "the economy of Love." Love is omnipresent, because it is God. There is nothing but Love, really. And I was living in that Love, as were all my friends and family offering to help. Beyond the country's GNP, beyond paychecks and bank accounts, there is this economy of Love that circulates goodness all around and through us.

What an amazing discovery! I had been oblivious to it before as I whacked my own way through life pridefully all by myself. But here it was, and it apparently had been going on for a long time. Love, not money, makes the world go around. And if I didn't accept all that goodness, I would be in effect truncating the Love these dear friends were expressing. Their desire to express Love deserved to be accepted gratefully and "paid back" by my pursuing my healing work.

So I began to learn how to graciously accept all that was being offered to me. At first, admittedly, it was for the kids. But when this trend culminated over the next few years in a better car and some beautiful clothes that I still wear, I could see that God, Love, had more in mind. We also received an almost full scholarship to a private school for the kids and several trips across country to visit loved ones. It got to the point where one day I idly thought to myself, We really need a full length mirror, and shortly thereafter a friend who was moving actually gave me one!

So I think what Guy's talking about in his book is connecting with that economy of Love. Jump in that flow and participate. There are riches out there, waiting for all of us, in the give-and-take of Love's world bank. You have an account you can draw from, and you can deposit in others. Deposit some love today!

From Science and Health:

Divine Love always has met and always will meet every human need.
(p. 494)


Your ideas and inspiration are welcome! Please comment below or Contact Laura.
Email this posting to a friend with the envelope icon below.


0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home