Tuesday, April 26, 2005

Life of Pi

I'm reading this really excellent book called Life of Pi. So I might be dropping in excepts as they strike me. Here's one:
I knew a woman here in Toronto who is very dear to my heart. She was my foster mother. I call her Auntieji and she likes that. She is Quebecoise. Though she has lived inToronto for over thirty years, her French-speaking mind still slips on occasion on the understanding of English sounds. And so, when she first heard of Hare Krishnas, she didn't hear right. She heard "Hairless Christians", and that is what they were to her for many years. When I corrected her, I told her that was not so wrong; that Hindus, in their capacity for love, are indeed hairless Christians, just as Muslims, in the way they see God in everything, are bearded Hindus, and Christians, in their devotion to God, are hat-wearing Muslims.
I like that. I've often thought that there's more unity in what we all believe than discord, and I love to find those commonalities when I speak to a new friend.
.
Del.icio.us tags:

1 Comments:

At 8/21/2006 09:14:00 AM, Blogger jundags said...

Hi Laura.I've seen this book once when an officemate brought her copy to the office. I immediately had the impression that the book is driving a beautiful message. I was not able to borrow said book though. I hope I'll be find and read a copy soon. Thanks for the exerpt.

 

Post a Comment

Links to this post:

Create a Link

<< Home